Axelsson was an extremely hard working winger and one of the NHL's best defensive forwards at one time. He was an excellent penalty killer and was great at "shadowing" opposing star players. Always had a great attitude and liked lightening the mood.
Upon returning to Sweden, Axelsson was converted to center for the 2011-12 season. He would then often center his brother and Fredrik Sjöström.
- 2013-04-10 • Announced his retirement
- 2009-07-27 • Signed to a four-year contract by Frölunda
- 2006-03-23 • Signed to a three-year contract extension by the Boston Bruins
- 2005-08-10 • Re-signed to a one-year contract by the Boston Bruins
- 2004-09-15 • Signed to a lockout contract by Frölunda
- 2003-07-14 • Re-signed to a two-year contract by the Boston Bruins
- 2002-07-29 • Re-signed to a one-year contract by the Boston Bruins
- 1997-05-28 • Signed to an entry-level contract by the Boston Bruins