- 1982-05-01 • Traded to Toronto by Philadelphia to complete transaction that sent Darryl Sittler to Philadelphia (January 20, 1982)
The Toronto, Ontario, native Ken Strong (originally: Kenneth Strong) had a solid junior career with the OHL's Peterborough Petes. He was chosen 58th overall by the Philadelphia Flyers in the 1981 NHL Entry Draft but got traded to the Toronto Maple Leafs only one year later. For the Leafs he appeared in 15 NHL games before he sought a change of scenery and moved to Switzerland. In 1987 Strong joined Austrian Villacher SV, the club he represented for eight years. He became one of the most popular players in the club's history because of his outstanding physical game and 609 scored points (293 goals, 316 assists) in 329 appearances for the club. Furthermore, he lead Villach to two consecutive Austrian championship titles in the years 1992 and 1993, when he was part of the league's most productive line with the two former NHL-ers Alfie Turcotte and Kim Issel.
Ken Strong eventually gained Austrian citizenship and represented the country at two A-pool World Championships and the Olympics in 1994. He scored 23 points (12 goals, 11 assists) in 38 games for Team Austria and was part of the 1992 team which achieved promotion to the A-pool after an absence of 33 years.
(by Hannes Biedermann)
Scored 3 goals in his NLA-debut 1986-10-04 (Chur vs. Olten 5:3)
Post a scouting report/trivia/player comment in English (visible here)
Submit changes (incorrect DOB, missing stats, incorrect stats, social media links etc) using a web form and we will review your update request within 24 hours and update accordingly. Important: An official team/league url or a team document must be provided for us to update player stats. We only use official stats.
Take control of your EliteProspects profile! Sign up for EP Premium and verify your profile to access these benefits.
- Ability to add additional data to your career profile: Videos, Images, Social Media, Referrals, Fitness Testing Results and much more!
- Improve your search rank
- Connect directly with players, coaches, teams, scouts and agents (optional)
- Premium Design on your profile page (optional)
- EP Contact Book listing of your profile (optional)
- Verification Badge on your profile