Other memorable dates
- 2017-10-07 • Scored his first NHL goal (vs. Columbus Blue Jackets vs. Joonas Korpisalo)
- 2017-10-05 • Made his NHL debut (vs. Pittsburgh Penguins)
Jan Rutta signed his first NHL contract with the Chicago Blackhawks in June of 2017, and made the team out of training camp as a 27-year-old rookie.
He had spent his entire career in the Czech Republic until the Hawks picked him up, and his game has translated to NHL ice very nicely so far. He has shown great poise with the puck and has been steady in his own end.
In case you needed a reminder of the Blackhawks' ingenious scouting team, Rutta is a perfect example of a player who seemingly came out of nowhere, but Chicago’s scouts clearly saw him as being ready to make the jump. It is pretty uncommon for a player to come over from Europe in his mid-late 20’s and have an immediate impact for an NHL team with no prior North American pro experience.
Look for Rutta to help stabilize an aging blue line on a Chicago team that will have a lot of question marks over the next few years.
(Peter Oundjian, EP 2018)
Post a scouting report/trivia/player comment in English (visible here)
Submit changes (incorrect DOB, missing stats, incorrect stats, social media links etc) using a web form and we will review your update request within 24 hours and update accordingly. Important: An official team/league url or a team document must be provided for us to update player stats. We only use official stats.
Take control of your EliteProspects profile! Sign up for EP Premium and verify your profile to access these benefits.
- Ability to add additional data to your career profile: Videos, Images, Social Media, Referrals, Fitness Testing Results and much more!
- Improve your search rank
- Connect directly with players, coaches, teams, scouts and agents (optional)
- Premium Design on your profile page (optional)
- EP Contact Book listing of your profile (optional)
- Verification Badge on your profile